The EarWell™ Infant Ear Correction System Process
The EarWell™ Infant Ear Correction System procedure (EarWell Application) begins with a consultation with Dr. Byrd to determine if your child can benefit from the EarWell™ System. Most cosmetic deformities are treatable with the EarWell™ System and the ear molding correction process can begin. Prior to placement, Dr. Byrd will review the entire EarWell™ process and answer any questions that you may have.
EarWell Application – How to Apply the EarWell Device
First step in the EarWell Application, a small amount of hair around the ear will be shaved to allow the EarWell™ device to adhere to the skin. The area is then sterilized with alcohol. The EarWell™ System is made up of 4 components which work together as a mold to reshape the ear:
- Posterior shell: Largest frame piece (held on with an adhesive) which fits around the ear, pulling the ear through an opening in the center
- Retractors: Smaller pieces made of soft rubber which gently shape the ear into position
- Conchal bowl former: Shapes the conchal bowl of the ear
- Lid: Outer section made of soft breathable rubber which snaps on and holds all the components in place
Once the EarWell™ System is in place, you will be given detailed instructions and tips on monitoring the EarWell™ device to ensure that the adhesive remains intact. Dr. Byrd will provide you with Micropore™ tape to be used in the event of the adhesive weakening.
Approximately 2 weeks after placement, you will have a follow -up appointment, at which time Dr. Byrd will remove the first EarWell™ System and place a second one to continue the reshaping process. This allows for slow, gentle movement over time. Most infant ear deformities are corrected with 3 sets of ear cradles over the duration of treatment. The length of time your infant will wear the EarWell™ System will depend on the amount of correction required, but most EarWell™ treatment is completed within 4-6 weeks.
Benefits of the EarWell Application include:
- Non-surgical permanent method of correcting ear deformities
- FDA approved
- Eliminates years of anxiety waiting to see if ear self-corrects
- Less costly than otoplasty (surgical ear reconstruction)
- Typically covered by insurance
- 90% success rate
- Fast results (usually in 2 months)
- Eliminates teasing and self-consciousness due to misshapen ears
- Aesthetically pleasing outcome
Is My Child a Candidate for the EarWell™ Infant Ear Correction System
The EarWell™ Infant Ear Correction System is an effective solution for most cosmetic deformities, however it is not recommended for patients with missing or severely malformed ears. When applied during the first 2 weeks of life, the EarWell™ System can correct most common ear deformities, such as:
- Prominent ears, also called protruding ears
- Cup ear
- Stahl’s ear
- Constricted ear, also called lop ear
- Conchal crus
- Helical compression
The EarWell™ System is not effective on infants once the cartilage has hardened, which progresses daily until the hardening process is complete at approximately 6 weeks. While the EarWell™ Infant Ear Correction System involves minimal risk, in rare cases, a rash or skin irritation may develop from the adhesive or retained moisture.
If you are concerned about your newborn’s ears, contact your doctor as soon as possible to ensure non-surgical treatment is an option. Any delay can result in the time frame for treatment to be closed leaving ear surgery (otoplasty) as your only option. If you would like more information about the innovative EarWell™ Infant Ear Correction System or would like to set up a consultation, contact our office for an appointment.